Thursday, May 22, 2008

blogging at Microsoft

I just came out of a meeting discussing blogs with the Windows Essential Server Solutions team. We are brainstorming the launch of a blog to be hosted on microsoft.com. There is a lot of excitement around blogging which is great, but I am concerned about capturing the sense of trust and community with an "official" blog. I had four blogs for two products at my former company, 2 internal and 2 external. While I was not as active on my external blogs due to our sales strategy, my internal blogs were very informal and quickly became 2 of the top 10 blogs.

What are your thoughts on a combined Small Business Server and Essential Business Server (Mid-size business) hosted by microsoft.com? Who do you think the target audience should be? Are there any objects you want included? What are your concerns or criticisms about current blogs hosted by Micorsoft?

My initial thoughts are that each product should have a blog for each community. As the Product Manager for EBS, my initial thoughts are to:
1) Keep my unofficial blog so that I have an informal blog where you can get to know me and the product. I want you to know who you are blogging with.
2) EBS blog hosted by Microsoft for the IT Pros which may build a community theme around becoming a Hero at your company.
3) EBS blog for buiness decision maker, partners and OEMs to dsicuss the business values of EBS.

Cheers,

Chris

No comments: